Sean Ferguson – Sydney, N.S.

On June 9, 2016 my life changed forever. My name is Sean Ferguson and I am a sudden cardiac arrest survivor. During a game of “1 vs 1” basketball, I collapsed to be ground where my life was left in the hands of some of my closest friends. Because of their quick actions, I am here today to share my story. Prior to the incident, I had been being tested for a condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which is basically extra thick and strong heart muscles. This condition can cause sudden death during exertion. On June 9, I was reminded how important an AED really is. I was told shortly after waking up from a three-day, chemically induced coma that without the AED, I would have died on the gym floor that day. My friends were flawless in their efforts to save my life, but without the AED, I would be dead. Since the scariest day of my life, I married my best friend, we bought our first home, and brought our beautiful son, Wesley into the world. I am sharing my story to make others aware of how important it is for us to become educated on AEDs. You may never in your life need to use one, but knowledge is power, and preparation is key!