Philip & Vicki Conrad – Lunenburg, N.S.

An AED saved my husband’s life on the night of Wednesday, November 12, 2012. My husband was playing hockey (goalie) at the rink just down the street from us. He was 58 at the time and most of the players were close to his age as well. I heard the ambulance go down past our house and then stop. I felt that it had stopped at the rink and was going to call my husband to find out what had happened but then thought, “Oh, I’ll just wait until he gets home”. The phone call came from the rink a bit later from one of his fellow hockey players, a doctor, telling me what had happened and that I should come down. Philip had been fine all day, but when on the ice, he felt he had heartburn again and wasn’t feeling well at all. He thought of leaving the ice for the change room, but thankfully he stayed on the ice. The play was at the other end when someone noticed Philip laying on the ice. They all rushed to him, but he was unresponsive. That night there were also three emergency room doctors playing hockey as well as a firefighter. They started working on him right away and also had to remove his upper hockey gear but there was still no response. There was an AED in the rink which the one doctor ran for while a young hockey player called 911. The AED had to be used three times before he came back to life. The paramedics arrived shortly afterwards Read more about Philip & Vicki Conrad – Lunenburg, N.S.[…]

Sean Ferguson – Sydney, N.S.

On June 9, 2016 my life changed forever. My name is Sean Ferguson and I am a sudden cardiac arrest survivor. During a game of “1 vs 1” basketball, I collapsed to be ground where my life was left in the hands of some of my closest friends. Because of their quick actions, I am here today to share my story. Prior to the incident, I had been being tested for a condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which is basically extra thick and strong heart muscles. This condition can cause sudden death during exertion. On June 9, I was reminded how important an AED really is. I was told shortly after waking up from a three-day, chemically induced coma that without the AED, I would have died on the gym floor that day. My friends were flawless in their efforts to save my life, but without the AED, I would be dead. Since the scariest day of my life, I married my best friend, we bought our first home, and brought our beautiful son, Wesley into the world. I am sharing my story to make others aware of how important it is for us to become educated on AEDs. You may never in your life need to use one, but knowledge is power, and preparation is key!